Renewing an existing licence
Release date: Mon 19 December 2011
Last updated: Fri 16 January 2015
You will be sent a reminder letter advising that it is time to renew your licence eight weeks before your licence expires. If you do not receive this renewal form four weeks before your licence expires, please contact Licensing & Regulation Division and a reprint of the renewal form will be sent to you.
Your reminder letter will include a list of any firearm registered to you in Victoria. You must review this list and advise LRD in writing of any errors or firearms missing from this list. Your renewal application cannot be processed until you either
- Sign the list to confirm it is correct (even where the list correctly states that you do not own any firearms) or
- Inform LRD in writing of any errors.
Key points to remember:
- The licence you are applying for must be suitable for the category of firearm you wish to possess, carry, use or deal in.
- You must provide sufficient documentation to demonstrate your genuine reason for holding the licence type you are applying for.
- Incomplete applications cannot be processed and are returned to the applicant
- By law, a new licence application cannot be issued any earlier than 28 days after the complete application was lodged.
- Your Divisional Firearms Officer can assist you to complete your application form and book into the Victorian Safety Course.
- All completed applications and supporting documentation should be forwarded to LRD.
If your licence expired more than 12 months ago or was cancelled, you will need to complete a new licence application form.
Victoria Police Centre 637 Flinders Street Melbourne 3005 | Ph 03 9247 6666 | Fax 03 9247 5727
Copyright © 2005 State of Victoria. All rights reserved.