Message from the Chief Commissioner

Our Services

Release date: Tue 31 January 2006

Last updated: Mon 16 December 2013

Permits for collections/events on public roads

Permits are required by any person or organisation wanting to either: 

  • Conduct an event on a public road such as a foot or bicycle race or similar, involving more that 30 competitors and/or a rolling road closure; or
  • Collect money from vehicles on a public road (known as tin-rattling).

Highway collections and events are regulated by law to ensure that they are coordinated and all relevant parties are aware of the plan to have pedestrians or bicycles on roads for special purposes unrelated to day-to-day activities.

The person or organisation conducting the event or collection must apply to the Chief Commissioner for a permit to conduct the event or collection. 


Top of Page
Victoria Police Centre 637 Flinders Street Melbourne 3005 | Ph 03 9247 6666 | Fax 03 9247 5727
Copyright © 2005 State of Victoria. All rights reserved.