Message from the Chief Commissioner

Our Services

Permit to collect on a public road

Release date: Mon 30 January 2006

Last updated: Wed 19 March 2014

The law prohibits people from standing on a road for the purpose of collecting money, otherwise known as tin rattling. 

However, a permit may be obtained that allows such collections to take place.

Common reasons for seeking a permit for these collections, known officially as highway collections, include statewide appeals such as the Royal Children's Hospital Appeal or Red Cross Appeal, or locally-based fundraising efforts, such as those conducted by the Volunteer Coast Guard or Country Fire Authority.

Applications for a permits to collect money while standing on a public road, and a full set of the conditions relating to the conduct of the event can be obtained by downloading the Highway Collection Application Form.

Contact us:

Victoria Police Centre
637 Flinders Street
Telephone (61 3) 9247 5714
Facsimile (61 3) 9247 5725

Top of Page
Victoria Police Centre 637 Flinders Street Melbourne 3005 | Ph 03 9247 6666 | Fax 03 9247 5727
Copyright © 2005 State of Victoria. All rights reserved.