Crime Prevention & Community Safety
When you are on holidays
Release date: Wed 29 August 2007
Last updated: Mon 9 October 2017
Preventing burglaries during holidays
The holiday season should be a time to relax and celebrate with family and friends. However, it is still important to be proactive about keeping your home and community safe, especially if you are going away.
Holiday Burglary Prevention Checklist
Keep Up Appearances
- If possible, consider a house-sitter to look after your home while you're away
- Put a stop on your mail or ensure it is collected regularly and not left overflowing in your letterbox
- Cancel any newspaper subscriptions - uncollected newspapers can tell burglars you're not at home
- Arrange for a neighbour to take your bins out and in
- Ask a neighbour to occasionally park their car in your driveway
- Arrange for a neighbour or friend to maintain your garden and mow your lawn
- Turn down the volume on your telephone so burglars cannot hear it ringing
- Set up a timer for a lamp or lights to come on at night
- Set up a timer for a radio to turn on and off throughout the day
- Be careful when posting holiday plans on social media - don't advertise that your home is vacant
Lock Up and Improve Security
- Install locks on all doors and windows
- Install and activate an alarm system
- Lock away tools and other items which could be used in a burglary
Key Crime Prevention Tips
- Appearances: Make it look like someone is home. Arrange a house-sitter or ask a trusted neighbour for help
- Lock all doors and windows
- Improve the security of your home
- Secure valuables by keeping them in a safe place.
Register absence from residence
Many police stations operate an absence from residence register, where you can leave your contact information and the times and dates that you will be away.
Police can use this information to perform checks in the area during usual patrols. If using this service, be sure to notify police when you return, especially if returning earlier than planned.
Steps to register your absence from residence
Victoria Police Centre 637 Flinders Street Melbourne 3005 | Ph 03 9247 6666 | Fax 03 9247 5727
Copyright © 2005 State of Victoria. All rights reserved.