Message from the Chief Commissioner

Crime Prevention & Community Safety

Absence from residence

Release date: Fri 18 May 2018

Last updated: Thu 10 May 2018

Absence from residence

You can be absent from your residence for a number of reasons. It is important to be proactive about keeping your residence and community safe, especially if you are going away for an extended period of time.

Police stations have an absence from residence register, where you can provide your contact information and the times and dates that you will be away.

This information is useful to police and could be used to contact you and /or your emergency contact in case of an incident at your residence or to perform checks in the area during usual patrols.  Due to the dynamic nature of calls for police services, Victoria Police cannot guarantee that police will attend your residence during your absence. If using this service, be sure to notify police when you return, especially if returning earlier than planned

How to register


  • Complete and submit the online form to register your absence from residence with your local police.

At your local police station

Related information

For more information on keeping your home safe while you are away refer to the resources below:


Top of Page
Victoria Police Centre 637 Flinders Street Melbourne 3005 | Ph 03 9247 6666 | Fax 03 9247 5727
Copyright © 2005 State of Victoria. All rights reserved.