Thu 14 November 2013
The Police Air Wing consists of a fleet of helicopters which assist police on a higher level (literally!)
Here are some cool facts about the Police Air Wing:
- Regular patrols of the city to prevent crime.
- Helps police monitor traffic accidents and catch people breaking the law on major roads.
- Looks for stolen cars which have been dumped in remote bushland.
- Helps guide police on the ground or in water to their targets.
- Search and rescue in remote areas or at sea.
- Can help fire fighters with aerial observation reports or evacuation support during large bushfires.
- Can take great photos for crime, traffic, planning and routine operations from the air.
- Urgent transport of specialist members, such as the Dog Squad, to time critical incidents.
- Acts as an ambulance to seriously sick or injured people who live far away from a hospital.
Fact: The Air Wing began operations with fixed wing aircraft in 1975.
Victoria Police Centre 637 Flinders Street Melbourne 3005 | Ph 03 9247 6666 | Fax 03 9247 5727
Copyright © 2005 State of Victoria. All rights reserved.