Applications for approval of trainers
Licensed private security businesses approved to provide training are required to have all trainers they employ approved to conduct training by the Licensing and Regulation Division (LRD) before they provide any training.
When employing new trainers, approved security training businesses must submit a letter to the Licensing and Registration Division seeking approval of the trainer.
The letter must include all of the following information:
- the prospective trainer's full name and private security licence number
- list of the competencies, courses or license activities the trainer will be training and/or assessing
- comprehensive and current resume containing sufficient detail to satisfy LRD that the trainer has relevant and current industry experience in the competencies the trainer will be training and/or assessing
- resume should include evidence of what employment or formal training the prospective trainer has undertaken, including specific time periods of employment/training and must also demonstrate that the trainer complies with
- relevant qualifications issued in recent years or documentation to support ongoing professional development that has not already provided in the past for security licensing purposes
- first aid trainer applications must be accompanied by a current HLTAID006 Provide Advanced First Aid qualification
- firearms trainer applications must be accompanied by a current approval under Section 179 the Firearms Act 1996
To assist in processing, requests for new trainer approvals should be sent to the Licensing and Regulation Division attention of the Compliance Support Unit. Do not bind or place documents in folders.
Security Industry Firearms Instructor (SIFI) and Security Industry Firearms Instructor Trainer (SIFIT) applications and requirements
SIFI's and SIFIT's must be able to demonstrate minimum experience and specific qualification levels when providing handgun requalification training. In addition to this, applicants must also follow the structure and requirements of the Registered Training Organisation process. Each request will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Applications for approval of training locations
It is a condition of a Private Security Business Licence holder in the activity of trainer that all training premises and locations used for training must be approved by LRD prior to the commencement of use. The exception is approved firearms ranges, or where training is undertaken at the workplace of the student who is a current licence holder.
A licensed Registered Training Organisation (RTO) seeking approval of an additional training location must provide a letter to the attention of the Compliance Support Unit at LRD. The request for approval of the training location must contain the following:
- exact address of the training location
- photograph of the building (an external view)
- photographs of the proposed training rooms and student facilities
- a floor plan if available
- information regarding the student numbers the classroom can accommodate
- information about council approved as a training location (if required)
- numbers of trainers to be utilised at the location (and identity if known)
- administrative staff that will be employed at this location
- whether the location is intended as a permanent training location or temporary, and if temporary, the reasons why it is temporary
Please note: To assist staff in processing, applications should not be bound or placed in folders.
Applications for approval of additional security courses
It is a condition of a Private Security Business Licence holder in the activity of trainer that all security courses must be approved by LRD prior to the delivery of training for that licensable activity. This includes any specific competencies, qualifications and licence activities.
A licensed RTO seeking approval of additional courses must request approval of the additional course(s) from the Compliance Support Unit at LRD and include a USB stick or compact disc (CD) containing, but not limited to the following information:
- all training resources
- all assessment documents
- training and assessment strategy
- all delivery plans or timetables (including specific times which comply with the LRD condition relevant to training hours)
- all PowerPoints and/or other training materials
- trainer manual (including answers to test papers if used)
- student manual and/or workbook
- copy of any agreement/authority permitting the use of resources if not using resources developed by the applicant
- list of proposed trainers and/or assessors for the course(s) – if any proposed trainers are not currently approved, then all information outlined at Applications from RTOs for approval of trainers must be provided
Please note: To assist staff in processing – applications submitted must not be bound or placed in folders.
Reviewed 06 February 2020