VicPol Corporate

Bodyguards, crowd controllers and investigators

What is a bodyguard?

A bodyguard is a person who is employed or retained to provide a close personal protection service.

Temporary overseas bodyguard permits can be obtained by the submission a temporary overseas bodyguard visitor permit.

What is a crowd controller?

A crowd controller is a person who is employed or retained to maintain order at any public place by doing any of the following:

  • screening entry into a premises
  • monitoring or controlling behaviour in a premises
  • removing any person from a premises

Crowd controllers may otherwise be engaged in maintaining order in any such place, unless that person is doing nothing more than securing or checking that persons allowed admission have paid to be admitted or have invitations or passes allowing for admission.

WorkSafe has developed some practical occupational health and safety guides for crowd controllers and cash-in-transit operators which may be helpful to those working in the industry. See:


An investigator is a person who, on behalf of another person, is employed or retained to obtain and provide information regarding the personal character or actions of any person, or regarding the character or nature of the business or occupation of any person. Alternatively an investigator may be employed to search for missing persons.

Training and licensing requirements

For training requirements for bodyguards, crowd controllers and investigators, see Competencies for licensing activities

See the current list of Registered Training Organisations for the purposes of the Private Security Industry

All licence and registration categories in the private security industry must meet probity requirements.

All prospective private security licence holders may be eligible for recognition of prior learning (RPL). It is encouraged to contact a registered training organisation (RTO) to see about the availability or RPL.

Applications for licences

Applications for new private security licences must be made via the eServices Portal.

Applications to vary an existing licence must be made using the application to vary a licence or registration form.

Reviewed 21 February 2019