VicPol Corporate

Private security

Bushfire affected licence holders

As you are aware the current bushfires are impacting a number of Victorians, including firearm, weapon and private security licence holders.

We would like to express our sadness regarding the events that have unfolded and continue to unfold in parts of Victoria.

We have developed an eform for licence holders or persons acting on behalf of a licence holder, who have been affected by the current bushfire crisis.

Licence holders can use this form to:

  • Request replacement of plastic licence cards
  • Notify the Licensing and Regulation Division (LRD) of the destruction of firearms/weapons
  • Notify the LRD of the death of a licence holder
  • Notify LRD of a change of personal details/address (including temporary addresses)

You can find this form here.

Burnt or destroyed firearms

If you have burnt or destroyed firearms due to the bushfires, please:

  1. Fill out the above form.
  2. Attempt to take it to your local police station or firearm dealer. If either of these options are unavailable then you should try to store the firearms as safely and securely as possible until you are able to dispose of the firearms correctly.


The Licensing and Regulation Division of Victoria Police regulates the private security industry in Victoria.

Our website has a lot of helpful information and links regarding a broad range of private security related issues.

You can find out more about the Licensing and Regulation Division, including our most recent Statement of Expectations, privacy statements and our compliance principles, here.

Need to update your address?

Complete the Change of Details form and submit it to

See: Private security forms

New private security licences

Assessment of your online application will not begin until you have submitted your hard copy application. All applications are processed in order of receipt. Licence applications may be delayed if information is missing or should further enquiries be required.

Complete your new private security licence application through the eServices Portal


Industrial Relations

Both business and individual licence holders working in the Private Security industry should familiarise themselves with recent changes to Industrial Relations (IR) legislation in Victoria.

For further information regarding how these changes may affect you or your business, please refer to the below:

Portable Long Service Authority:

If you are a business who employs workers to do security work as defined by the Private Security Act 2004, must comply with the legislation by: 

  • Registering with the Portable Long Service Authority.
  • Submitting Quarterly Returns to the Portable Long Service Authority.

Visit this link for more information:

Labour Hire Authority:

The Labour Hire Licensing Authority is responsible for implementing the Labour Hire Licensing Act 2018. The Act introduces a licensing scheme for providers of labour hire across all industry sectors. 

Please visit this link for more information:

Private Security Industry Newsletters

Reviewed 17 January 2020