Police Life is Victoria Police's official magazine. In each edition you will find articles about police across the state, true crime stories, tales of good arrests as well as police station profiles and the latest policing initiatives.
It’s been 25 years since the Port Arthur massacre shook Australia to its core. For former Victoria Police officers Craig Harwood and Michael Hayes, the events of modern Australia’s worst mass shooting will forever remain etched in their memories.
As Special Operations Group (SOG) leaders in 1996, they answered an unprecedented call for assistance from their Tasmanian counterpart Jim Morrison and led a Victorian SOG team to the southern state to help bring the siege to an end and arrest the offender.
In the Winter 2021 edition of Police Life, the three men share their memories of that dreadful day and how their collective desire to focus on the good that followed the tragedy has brought them together again, this time for an epic trek in the name of a charity close to their hearts.
Other stories include:
- Olympian Rachel Jarry bounces from a lifetime on the basketball court into a career as a Victoria Police officer.
- How a freezer containing DNA, a book filed away in police storage and a determined detective came together to solve a horrific sex crime almost 30 years after it took place.
- A behind-the-scenes look at Victoria Police’s expert Ballistics Unit.
- Two Explosive Detection Dogs are now sniffing out trouble with the Bomb Response Unit, lining up alongside robots and other high-tech equipment.
- What 500 years of service with Victoria Police looks like.
Reviewed 26 August 2021