Control of Weapons Act 1990
DECLARATION OF DESIGNATED AREA UNDER SECTION 10D(1)
The Assistant Commissioner, Southern Metro Region, acting as a delegate of the Chief Commissioner of Police under section 10D(1) of the Control of Weapons Act 1990, declares as a designated area in all public places within the City of Kingston that is within the area bounded by and including:
All public places within the City of Kingston that is within the area bounded by and including, Eastern side of Station Street, between Franklin Avenue and Maury Road, Maury Road From Station Street to the water line on Chelsea Beach, Franklin Avenue between Station street and the water line at Chelsea Beach and the water line on Chelsea beach between Maury Road and Franklin Avenue.
For removal of doubt this area includes all the beach foreshore area up to and including the water line.
This declaration will operate on Wednesday 18 December 2019, between12:00 PM and 11:59PM.
During these times members of the police force are authorised to exercise the following powers:
in a public place in the designated area, without warrant, stop and search for weapons:
- any person;
- anything in the possession or control of the person;
- any vehicle with a person in or on the vehicle; and
- anything in or on such vehicle;
- detain a person or vehicle for so long as is reasonably necessary to conduct a search;
- seize and detain any item the member reasonably suspects is a weapon; and
- request a person who is the subject of a full search to disclose his or her identity, and
- direct a person to leave the designated area if the police officer reasonably believes the person is wearing the face covering primarily to
conceal their identity; or
to protect them from the effects of a crowd control substance; and
- the person refuses to remove the face covering when requested to do so.
- direct the person to leave the designated area if the police officer reasonably believes the person intends to engage in conduct that would constitute an affray (s195H Crimes Act 1958) or violent disorder (s195I Crimes Act 1958).
Reviewed 16 December 2019