Homicide Squad detectives are today announcing a $1 million reward in relation to the 1988 murder of Salvatore Rotiroti in Manifold Heights.
Today’s announcement falls on the 30th anniversary of his death.
Salvatore, who was also known as Sam, was found dead in the driveway of his home about 12.25am on Tuesday, 6 September.
He was located by his son, who was returning home after a night out with his girlfriend.
Salvatore was a concreter by trade and had been born in Calabria, Italy.
He was married with five children and his three sons and two daughters all lived with him and his wife in their Manifold Heights home.
Detectives believe Salvatore had been assaulted outside his home around 10.25pm on 5 September, only hours before his son found him dead.
On 29 September 1988, police charged a then 21-year-old man with the murder of Salvatore Rotiroti, however those charges were later withdrawn.
That man remains a person of interest in this investigation.
Officer in charge of the Homicide Squad, Detective Inspector Tim Day, said there appeared to be several different motivations for Salvatore’s murder.
“We strongly believe that the person responsible for Salvatore’s death was motivated by financial gain, however this may not be the only reason,” he said.
“It appears that someone may have also been trying to take control of his family in some way.
“We believe that Salvatore’s family has direct knowledge of what happened to him and why.
“Police also believe that several members of Salvatore’s family have crucial information regarding the circumstances of his death and those responsible.
“We are appealing directly to those people to come forward and help us solve this murder.
“However, while there are no other known suspects at this time, detectives are not ruling anything out in this investigation.
“This includes the possibility that a number of people were involved in planning and carrying out Salvatore’s murder.”
Detective Inspector Day said that even after 30 years, he believed there are still people out there who have information critical to this investigation.
“We’re hoping that by announcing a $1 million dollar reward today, some people may be motivated to finally come forward and tell us the truth about why this murder happened and who was involved,” he said.
“Thirty years is a long time to think about why you might be covering up for someone and if that is still worth it.
“I would strongly encourage anyone with information to come forward and speak to police now because as the reward shows, this investigation is far from over.”
A reward of up to $1 million will be paid at the discretion of the Chief Commissioner of Police for information leading to the apprehension and subsequent conviction of the person or persons responsible for the murder.
In appropriate cases, the Director of Public Prosecutions may consider, according to established guidelines, the granting of indemnification from prosecution to any person who provides information as to the identity of the principal offender or offenders in this matter.
Reviewed 03 January 2020