Our role and functions
Victoria Police’s role is to serve the Victorian community and uphold the law so as to promote a safe, secure, and orderly society.
Victoria Police achieves this by:
- protecting life and property
- helping those in need of assistance
- preventing offences
- preserving the peace
- detecting and apprehending offenders.
Our services include:
- responding to calls for assistance in matters of personal and public safety, emergencies, and serious incidents
- preventing crime through a range of proactive community safety programs
- detecting and investigating offences, and bringing those responsible for committing them to justice
- supporting the judicial process to achieve efficient and effective court case management, providing safe custody for alleged offenders, supporting victims, and ensuring fair and equitable treatment of victims and offenders
- promoting safe road-user behaviour.
Organisational values underpin Victoria Police’s policies, procedures, and practices. They also define how employees interact with the community and each other.
Our values are:
Victoria Police develops and maintains a high performing asset base that enable our staff to deliver safe and effective policing services.
Our assets and infrastructure include:
- 331 police stations
- 52 other buildings, including:
- seven multi-disciplinary centres
- one forensic facility and two forensic hubs
- three storage facilities
- four specialist training facilities
- Victoria Police Centre.
- 3548 vehicles.
Our organisation is made up of more than 21,000 employees.
We are committed to continue to work towards a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community we serve, and to providing a safe and equal workplace where our people are treated with dignity, respect, and fairness.
Breakdown of Victoria Police employees
Our organisation is made up of:
- 1428 protective services officers (PSOs)
- 3923 Victorian Public Service (VPS) employees, including police custody officers (PCOs)
- 15,991 police officers.
Victoria Police regions
Victoria Police provides policing services to the Victorian community 24 hours a day, seven days a week, working to keep over 6.5 million Victorians safe.
Victoria Police operates across 54 Police Service Areas, within 21 divisions and four regions.
Victoria Police regions map
Reviewed 30 August 2023