VicPol Corporate

Belinda Williams

$1 million reward

Sunday, 2 December 2007 00:17
Belinda Williams

Announced December 2007

Police are hoping the offer of a $1 million reward will end a nine-year mystery surrounding the murder of a Buninyong woman.

Belinda Williams’ body was found by bushwalkers on the Mt Buninyong Access Road on 6 July 1999, more than a week after she disappeared from her home.

An autopsy revealed the 29-year-old had been strangled.

Although there were no signs of violence it is believed she was killed in her house, while her six-year-old daughter slept, and her body was later dumped.

On the night of her disappearance Belinda said goodbye to two girlfriends as they left her Elizabeth Street house at 9:30pm, before attempting to call her estranged de facto partner at 10pm.

That is the last time anyone heard from Belinda.

Despite an exhaustive police investigation, the murder remains unsolved and a Coroner’s inquest in 2005 found police had no further viable avenues of enquiry.

However police are hopeful that the offer of a $1 million reward will encourage members of the public with information to come forward.

In announcing the reward, Detective Senior Sergeant Peter Harrington from the Homicide Squad said there must be someone out there who can help bring closure to Belinda’s family.

"For eight years Belinda’s family have had to live without knowing what happened to her and it has clearly had a profound affect on the family".

"We are appealing to anyone who has information about what occurred on that night to contact Crime Stoppers" he said.

The Department of Public Prosecutions will also consider granting indemnification from prosecution to any person who provides information as to the identity of the principal offender or offenders.

Anybody with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit  www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Reviewed 28 February 2019