VicPol Corporate

Compliments and complaints

Making a compliment

In order to continue to provide quality service to the community, Victoria Police need assistance, and while personnel are valued any recognition of their good work and efforts is greatly appreciated.

Victoria Police welcomes constructive feedback on the performance of personnel so that it can continue to provide or improve the level of service provided to you.

If you wish to compliment the actions of a police officer or any police personnel, you may do so by writing a letter to the Station Commander in charge of the police station in your area or to the Chief Commissioner of Police.

Making a complaint

The majority of complaints Victoria Police receive relate to communication and customer service issues involving matters such as:

  • rudeness
  • poor attitude and practice
  • careless or poor service
  • failure to adequately explain police procedures.

Depending on the issues you raise, local police may be able to resolve the complaint to your satisfaction or it may require further investigation.

If you consider the matter to be of a serious nature such as:

  • excessive or unreasonable use of force
  • dishonesty, threats or harassment
  • unlawful arrest
  • you would prefer to make your complaint to the Police Conduct Unit, a complaint can be made personally or through an advocate

To make a complaint about a communication or customer service issue, you are encouraged to:

Your complaint will be forwarded to the Police Conduct Unit.

* Making a false complaint or creating a false belief may be an offence under the Crimes Act 1958 or the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Act 2011.

What to include

Helpful information to include in your complaint: ·

  • date
  • time and location of the incident
  • a brief description of the incident
  • name and registered number of any police personnel
  • name, address and telephone number of any witnesses
  • vehicle registration and type of police vehicle/s involved (if relevant.

If you are making a written complaint keep a copy of the letter you send. If you are making a report by telephone, record the time, date and the name of the person you spoke to and what they agreed to do. If you have further information or you have changed your mind please do not hesitate to contact the Police Conduct Unit.

Assistance with communication

Interpreters, National Relay Service and other assistance is available to meet your communication needs.

Translated resources

Information about the complaint process is available in English and in other languages below.

An Easy English guide containing information about the complaint process is available.

Victoria Police provides a translating and interpreting service for people who do not speak English or prefer to communicate in their own language.

If you require the use of a translating and interpreting service you are welcome to request this when you call the Police Conduct Unit on 1300 363 101,.

Alternatively, you have the option of phoning the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) directly and organising translating services for when you speak with the Police Conduct Unit.

Phone TIS directly on 13 14 50 or visit its website

Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people

You may prefer to speak with a Police Aboriginal Liaison Officer at the Police Conduct Unit. 

You may choose to make your complaint to the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC). Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community members can report any incident of race discrimination or report on the treatment they have received by police.

You can call the Police Conduct Unit on 1300 363 101 write to:

Police Conduct Unit
GPO Box 913
Melbourne Vic 3001
E-mail: Police Compliments and Complaints

Support Services

During the course of your complaint being actioned by Victoria Police you will be offered regular updates unless you ask not to receive them. You may also be offered a referral to a support agency in relation to your issue or other support needs you may have. 

Professional Standards Command

1300 363 101 for advice and assistance.

Victim's Support Agency

You may be eligible to access support through the independent helpline. The helpline is available from 8.00 am to 11.00 pm, 7 days a week and trained call-takers are available to respond to any health or welfare concerns you may have.

Phone: 1800 819 817

Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC)

IBAC is Victoria's first anti-corruption body with responsibility for identifying and preventing serious corrupt conduct across the whole public sector, including members of Parliament, the judiciary and state and local government.

IBAC also has a broad oversight role in relation to police personnel misconduct and an important education function to proactively assist public sector agencies to improve their systems and processes to prevent corrupt conduct.

Phone: 1300 735 135
Fax: (03) 8635 6444
Postal address:

IBAC, GPO Box 24234, Melbourne, Victoria 3000


Taskforce Salus

Established to identify and investigate sexual predatory behaviour and serious sexual harassment and discrimination allegations made against current or former Police, Protective Services Officers and Victorian Public Service staff. There are processes in place to ensure confidentiality consistent with the Protected Disclosures Act to protect the identity of reporting individuals. If you prefer, anonymous information may also be provided.

Taskforce Salus Confidential Contact Options

Phone: 03 8327 6845


Victoria Police Centre

G.P.O Box 913 Melbourne

VIC 3001 

Website feedback

Your feedback is important to us and any information you supply will be treated in the strictest confidence. For further information, see our Privacy policy

For feedback relating to any content on the website, email

Postal address:
Victoria Police
Media and Corporate Communications
637 Flinders Street
Docklands, VIC, 3008

Reviewed 12 January 2020