This form allows you to:
- report a serious concern about the actions or behaviour of a Victoria Police employee
- complain about a policy, procedure or practice of Victoria Police.
Before you start this form
- the types of complaints we investigate
- what information to have ready
- other ways to make a complaint
Make a complaint
Privacy and processing your complaint
Victoria Police manages your personal, sensitive and health information carefully and in accordance with relevant legislation. If you make a complaint, Victoria Police may refer your complaint to another agency. The information you provide to Victoria Police, including the personal, sensitive and health information you have provided, may be forwarded to that agency for the purposes of addressing your complaint. However, Victoria Police may be authorised by law to use or provide personal information for another reason.
Data may be automatically recorded for statistical and system administration purposes. To the extent that any data could make you identifiable, Victoria Police will not attempt to identify you from such data unless necessary for the investigation of unlawful activity or otherwise permitted under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic).
You have the right to request access to and correction of your information by writing to:
Victoria Police Freedom of Information Unit:
- our Privacy Statements,
- contacting the Victoria Police Privacy about a privacy complaint.
You complaint will be assessed by the Police Conduct Unit (PCU). The most appropriate action will be worked out and then taken.
Their approach depends on the nature of the report. Allegations and issues may be resolved by:
- an explanation of the relevant law, policy or procedure by the Police Conduct Unit
- our 'Management Resolution' process for complaints of communication and customer service issues
- a formal investigation for complaints of a serious nature.
We will then contact you to explain the process and actions that will be taken to address your complaint.
If at any stage, you wish to withdraw your complaint, notify the Police Conduct Unit as soon as possible.
Reviewed 28 February 2023