Message from the Chief Commissioner

Our Services

Highway Event Permits

Release date: Fri 28 July 2017

Last updated: Wed 15 November 2017

Highway Event Permits

A highway event permit must be obtained by anyone wishing to conduct a foot or bike race (including triathlons and marathons) on a Victorian road.

In order to obtain a highway event permit a highway event application form must be completed and submitted in full to the State Event Planning Unit at least 2 months prior to the event. Applications must be submitted with the Event Management Plan and Traffic Management Plan and include a clear map of the route/ course.

Council and VicRoads approvals and a relevant Certificate of Insurance for the date of event must be sent to the State Event Planning Unit in order for a permit to be granted, however these can be submitted closer to the date when they are received.

Highway Events (foot & bike races and rolling road closures) - refer Road Safety (Traffic Management) Regulations 2009 - Section 26 & 27


Application Form


Contact us

Telephone: (03) 9247 5856


Top of Page
Victoria Police Centre 637 Flinders Street Melbourne 3005 | Ph 03 9247 6666 | Fax 03 9247 5727
Copyright © 2005 State of Victoria. All rights reserved.