Police Assistance Line and Online Reporting

Call 131 444 or submit an online report 24/7.

For when you need us, but not the sirens.

Report non-urgent crimes and events to Victoria Police to help us prevent further crime and assist you with support. In an emergency, always call Triple Zero (000)

You can report non-urgent crimes or events 24 hours a day, seven days a week, through our Police Assistance Line and Online Reporting service.

Emergency reporting

If you are in danger, need to report a crime in progress, or for immediate police attendance, always call Triple Zero (000).

Non-urgent reporting and assistance

Report a non-urgent crime or event at any time using either our Police Assistance Line or online reporting options.

Report using the Police Assistance Line

You can call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444(opens in a new window) to report some non-urgent crime and events anytime, anywhere.

Examples of non-urgent crimes and events include:

  • burglary including at a commercial property or a home with no occupant present
  • general theft (including theft of a motor vehicle)
  • property damage
  • lost property
  • general enquiries.

Save 131 444(opens in a new window) to your phone contacts to report non-urgent crimes in the future.

All calls to the Police Assistance Line are recorded and retained by Victoria Police. This is both for training and, if required, policing purposes.

When not to use the Police Assistance Line

The Police Assistance Line can't assist you with urgent matters or emergencies, including:

  • family violence
  • assault
  • shop theft or petrol drive-offs
  • a crime that is happening at the time of reporting.

Report a non-urgent crime or event online

Online Reporting provides you with 24-hour reporting options.

Once we process your report, you will get a notification with support information and a police reference number. This will be sent either by email or by post.

Report to Crime Stoppers

You can make an anonymous report to Crime Stoppers Victoria (opens in a new window) or call 1800 333 000(opens in a new window).

They can help if you have information that could help solve a past crime and you do not need police assistance.

Local police station enquiries

Call or visit your local police station(opens in a new window) to report a crime or seek help with:

  • status updates (i.e. following up an incident you've reported)
  • reporting past crimes, offences or abuse
  • reporting located or found property
  • contacting a Community Liaison Officer(opens in a new window)
  • family violence related matters
  • other general queries.

Search by postcode, suburb, or map for the contact and location details of a police station.(opens in a new window)

Help with communication

Further help is available to meet your communication needs.

Report in your language

If English is your second language, we have translated reporting information available in the following languages:

Interpreter services

You can also make a non-urgent report in your language through an interpreter.

Call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450(opens in a new window) and ask for the Victoria Police Assistance Line on 131 444.

Report using the National Relay Service (NRS)

You can use the National Relay Service (NRS) to contact Victoria Police if you are Deaf, have a hearing impairment, or have difficulty with speech or communication.

You must be signed up to use the service. Register for the National Relay Service here.

For more information visit the National Relay Service website.

Triple Zero (000) emergency calls and the NRS

You can make a Triple Zero (000) emergency call using the NRS.

The Police Assistance Line and the NRS

To report a non-urgent crime or event to the Police Assistance Line, contact the NRS and provide the number 131 444. 

Online reports outside Australia or via internationally hosted networks

Learn how to make a report if outside of Australia, or using a VPN that is set to a region outside of Australia, via our Online reports outside Australia page.

Other incident and crime reporting options

To explore a range of incident and crime reporting options, visit our Report page.

Your privacy and data

More information on what reporting information is collected, used and disclosed, is available on our Privacy page.