VicPol Corporate

Private security

Learn about private security, including information about registration, licence activities and contacting the Licensing and Regulation Division.

Status of current applications

Last updated 11 December 2023

Application typeProcessing applications submitted
New private security licence/registration applications25 October 2023
Private security licence/registration renewals22 November 2023

Please note that the application processing times outlined above are indicative only.

Complex applications, or those with suitability concerns, may take longer to process. In addition, private security business licence applications require thorough review before approval.

Contact the Licensing and Regulation Division

Get in touch about private security licensing through our online enquiry form.

For enquires requesting application processing updates and approval time frames, please review the Status of current applications on this page.

For general information, please refer to the Firearms and Private Security webpages. Our webpages contain information on topics relating to licensing requirements, access to application forms and guides.

Holiday period phone hours

The Licensing and Regulation Division (LRD) will reduce phone services during the holiday period. The LRD 1300 number will be unavailable between Friday 15 December and Monday 15 January.

Normal phone services will resume at 10am on Tuesday 16 January.

Any urgent enquiries during this period should be directed to LRD via our online enquiry formExternal Link .

Public register for register of licence, registration and permit holders

The public register for Register of Licence, Registration and Permit Holders allows businesses and individuals to ensure that their employees are appropriately licensed.

All current holders of a Victorian private security individual or business licence or registration will appear on the Victoria Police public register, regardless of the documented expiry date. Sections 36 (4) and 92 (4) of the Private Security Act 2004, allow that a licence or registration, in respect of a renewal application, is deemed to continue in force, after the expiry of the licence period, until the Chief Commissioner makes a decision in relation to the application.

Ability to work while waiting for my plastic licence

Under sections 36(4) and 92(4) of the Private Security Act 2004, if you are renewing your private security licence or registration, you can still continue to work while awaiting your licence renewal to be processed and finalised.

You or your employer can check the validity of your licence by checking the public register of licence, registration and permit holders.

If you have completed your renewal application and are still waiting to receive your new plastic licence card you should carry your expired licence together with your receipted payment notice.

About private security

To learn more about private security legislation, you can access the Private Security Act 2004External Link . You can also view our most recent Statement of Expectations, privacy statements and compliance principles on our Licensing and Regulation Division page. Private security licence and registration fees can be found on our Service fees and penalties page.

There are a number of activities and security guard sub-activities you can undertake under a private security licence or registration. Private security licence activities and their definitions are outlined below.

For information concerning private security registration activities, see Applying for a new private security licence or registration.

Private security licence activities

  • A security guard is a person who is employed or retained to protect, watch or guard any property by any means including:

    • by patrolling the property in person
    • by monitoring the property via closed circuit television (CCTV), a closed monitoring system, radio or other similar alarm device

    A security guard may be licensed to perform up to six-sub activities. Each sub-activity requires training qualifications and a person may be licensed for more than one sub-activity depending on their training.

    For more information on the qualification requirements for each security guard sub-activity, you can read our guide.

    Security guard sub-activities are defined below:

    Unarmed guard

    An unarmed guard is a person who is employed or retained to protect, watch or guard any property while unarmed.

    Armed guard

    An armed guard is a person who is employed or retained to protect, watch or guard any property while being armed with a firearm.

    Cash-in-transit guard

    A cash-in-transit guard is a person employed to collect, transfer and/or deliver cash or other valuables while being armed with a firearm.

    WorkSafe has developed some practical occupational health and safety guides for cash-in-transit operators which may be helpful to those working in the industry: Cash-in-transit: A guide to managing OHS in the cash-in-transit industryExternal Link

    Control room operator

    A control room operator monitors activity – via CCTV monitors or similar means – and may be required to respond in person and/or conduct guarding duties such as patrolling. A control room is usually on site but may be off site as part of a remote-monitoring centre.

    Monitoring centre operator

    A monitoring centre operator is employed to work in a centre monitoring intruder alarm systems. A monitoring centre operator may be required to interpret signals from alarms transmitted to the centre and take appropriate action, or relay and receive situation reports to and from other personnel.

    • Monitoring centre operators do not:
    • conduct patrols
    • routinely leave the monitoring centre to respond to a situation, or
    • conduct, supervise or coordinate other personnel activities.

    Guard with a dog

    A person employed to protect, watch or guard any property may patrol with a dog. They can’t be used for any other security licence activity such as crowd control.

    Note: Commercial yard dogs that are left on their own at premises as a deterrent are not regulated by Victoria Police.

    The Licensing and Regulation Division does not provide information about animal training. Information regarding dog training and industry laws and standards can be found via Agriculture VictoriaExternal Link .

    It is a condition of any security guard licence endorsed for guard with dog that any dogs used for security purposes are trained to the minimum obedience level as defined by the Domestic Animals Regulations 2015.

    The breed of dog must be in accordance with the Code of Practice for the operation of dog training establishmentsExternal Link .

  • A crowd controller is a person who is employed or retained to maintain order at any public place by doing any of the following:

    • screening entry into a premises
    • monitoring or controlling behaviour in a premises
    • removing any person from a premises

    Crowd controllers may otherwise be engaged in maintaining order in any such place, unless that person is doing nothing more than securing or:

    • checking that persons allowed admission
    • have paid to be admitted or;
    • have invitations or passes allowing for admission.

    WorkSafe has developed some practical occupational health and safety guides for crowd controllers a which may be helpful to those working in the industry: Crowd control at venues and events: A practical occupational health and safety guideExternal Link

  • A bodyguard is a person who is employed or retained to provide a close personal protection service.

    Temporary overseas bodyguard permits can be obtained by submitting a temporary overseas bodyguard visitor permitExternal Link .

  • An investigator is a person who, on behalf of another person, is employed or retained to obtain and provide information regarding the personal character or actions of any person, or regarding the character or nature of the business or occupation of any person. Alternatively an investigator may be employed to search for missing persons.

Firearm licensing for security guards

People performing duties as an armed guard or cash-in-transit firearm must be the holder of a current firearms licence in addition to their private security licence.

  • The following types of handguns are suitable for work in the private security industry:

    • semi-automatic pistols 9mm and .40 calibres
    • revolvers .38 calibre and .357 magnum calibres

    There are restrictions about the type of ammunition permitted for use in handguns used in the private security industry. Only manufacturer recommended ammunition should be used in these handguns.

    All other types of ammunition are not permitted, unless they are solely used for training purposes.

    Victoria Police determines that there are no exceptional or legitimate circumstances for the carriage of handguns or ammunition outside of these specifications for use in the private security industry.

  • Handguns used in the private security industry must be registered to a cash-in-transit or armed guard security business. Employees may not register a handgun against their individual firearm licence unless they hold the licence for an additional reason, such as sport/target shooting. In those cases those firearm may not, under any circumstances be used for employment purposes.

    Employers are responsible for storage and the day-to-day management of firearms possessed under the licence.

    Employees may not keep a firearm at home for work purposes unless required to do so by the employer and specific authorisation has been granted by the Licensing and Regulation Division. Contact us for more information about how to apply for a keep at home endorsement.

  • Each financial year (July 1 to June 30) the holder of a firearm licence issued for security guard or prison guard purposes must re-qualify at an approved industry specific firearms training course.

    All licence holders have a common qualification expiry date of 30 June each year. The current approved security industry specific firearms training unit of competency is CPPSEC3114 - Control Security Risk Situations Using Firearms.

    Licence holders should be aware that:

    • once the licence holder has successfully completed the re-qualification course a copy of the certificate must be submitted to Licensing and Regulation Division
    • it is the responsibility of each licence holder to ensure that a certificate has been submitted
    • licence holders should not rely on, or assume that their employer or training provider will take responsibility for providing this documentation within the required time frames.

    Failure to complete re-qualification requirement by the end of each financial year (30 June) means that:

    • a firearm licence could be suspended
    • even if a valid private security licence is held the suspended licence holder cannot handle those firearms in the course of their duties

    In circumstances where a licence holder may not be able to complete re-qualification by June 30, they must notify Licensing and Regulation Division in writing before this date.

    When a licence holder completes handgun re-qualification training after the expiry date of 30 June, their re-qualification document will be backdated for that financial year. This however, does not cover the licence holder’s re-qualification training for the new financial year. It is the sole responsibility of the licence holder to ensure re-qualification is undertaken annually within the financial year. Failure to comply with the re-qualification requirement by the end of each financial year (30 June) may result in the immediate suspension of the firearms licence under Section 47 of the Firearms Act 1996.

  • All firearm applications are subject to a mandatory waiting period of 28 days.

    Anyone wishing to apply for general category handgun licence for the purpose of working as a security guard must:

    • hold a private security licence with the activity of armed guard and/or cash-in-transit
    • a letter of employment from an approved cash-in-transit and/or armed guard employer
    • evidence that training competency relating to firearm-handling was attained within 12 months of your application for a handgun licence
    • have had fingerprints taken (in addition to a set of fingerprints required for your private security licence)

    Applicants for a private security licence for the purpose of armed guard and/or cash-in-transit are strongly advised to submit their applications for a private security licence and firearm licence at the same time if possible. Applicants should also state the two reasons (private security and firearms licensing) on their National Police Check application. Taking these actions will minimise waiting times and avoid the need to provide evidence twice and pay multiple fees for the taking of fingerprints.

Reviewed 11 December 2023

Our services

Was this page helpful?