National police check disclosure information and disputes

Understand what criminal history information can be disclosed and how to dispute information you believe is incorrect.

A national police check can be required by employers, organisations and regulators in order to gain an official record of any criminal history. 

The police check process may disclose certain information. If you believe that the information disclosed is incorrect, you have an opportunity to dispute it.

Information that will not be disclosed

For some types of convictions, if you do not reoffend again for a specific period, you no longer have to share the conviction. These convictions are known as ‘Spent’ and do not appear in a national police check (unless an exemption applies).

For more information about Spent Convictions exemptions, visit the Department of Justice and Community Safety Victoria.

A national police check in Victoria will not show Spent Convictions, with the exception of a regulatory purpose such as a working with children screening.

In most cases, a national police check will not disclose:

  • criminal charges where a court has not yet made a decision (pending charges)
  • information relating to an ongoing investigation by police, and
  • findings of not guilty by reason of mental impairment.


Information that will be disclosed

For detailed information on what will be disclosed in your National Police Certificate, please refer to Spent Convictions on the Department of Justice and Community Safety Victoria website.

Disputing your criminal history information

You can dispute some or all of your criminal history information if you believe it’s incorrect.

Dispute checks submitted via post

If you submitted an application to Victoria Police by post, you can submit your dispute via email to

You must provide as much additional information as possible and attach evidentiary documents (if any) to support your dispute.

You may also need to provide comparison fingerprints. This will only be requested where necessary.

No fee will be charged for taking comparison fingerprints.

You will be informed of the outcome by mail.

Dispute checks submitted online via Service Victoria

If you applied for a National Police Check online via Service Victoria, please raise your dispute with Service Victoria.

Dispute checks by interstate police

If you submitted an application via an interstate police jurisdiction, you need to lodge your dispute with them.

Please contact the relevant police jurisdiction directly.

Dispute checks by ACIC accredited bodies

If your check was conducted by an Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) accredited body, you must raise your dispute with them.

The accredited body will arrange for you to complete a National Police Checking Service (NPCS) dispute form which they will lodge on your behalf.

Learn more about accredited bodies.

Contact us

Get in touch about police checks or the fingerprinting process through our online enquiry form.

To book, change or cancel a fingerprinting appointment, please call 1300 881 596 between 8.30am and 12pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.

Fingerprinting appointments cannot be made through our online enquiry form.

Please use the online enquiry form if you have a general enquiry.

Privacy statement

Victoria Police is committed to maintaining the privacy of the personal information that it collects, stores, uses and discloses and adheres to strict privacy and confidentiality policies. Personal information is treated in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014. An individual may gain access to their information by making an application through the Victoria Police, Freedom of Information Division. 

For further information go to Freedom of information.