Certain scenarios may require you to have a national police check. These can include:
- volunteer work
- occupation-related licencing and registration.
You will need to meet certain identity requirements and pay a fee. You will receive a national police certificate with the result of the check.
Apply for a police check online
To apply for a national police check online you will need to:
- meet certain identity requirements
- provide certain ID documents electronically
- pay via a credit or debit card
- have (or borrow) a smartphone.
Apply for a national police check online
The process should take about 30 minutes.
Your identity and ID documents will be electronically verified.
You will then be provided with a PDF certificate via email.
Apply for a police check via post
To apply for a national police check via post you will need to:
- Complete the Consent to Check and Release National Police Record application
- Print your completed application form
- Find an appropriate witness to certify your documents (please see the application for a list)
- Sign and date the application form in front of that same person
- have that person sign and date each copy of your proof of identity documents (worth 100 ID points) and the application form
- Pay online or attach a cheque or money order with the required fee
- Attach all the paperwork including payment
- Mail to the address listed on the application .
If you live overseas or need temporary or permanent residency or citizenship, you must apply to Australian Federal .
If you live interstate, you must apply for a national police check from your current state police.
Interstate applicants can only apply via Victoria Police under the following exemptions:
- poppy industry
- bus accreditation
- private security licence
- firearms licence
- legal admission
- armed guard or cash in transit
- casino or gaming licence
- contact with prisoners.
National police check processing times
Allow at least 10 working days from the date you apply for the process to be completed.
Your police check may be further delayed if information is required from interstate police jurisdictions.
Victoria Police will endeavour to complete all checks as soon as possible.
Fees and charges
For information on costs involved with applying for a National Police check, visit our fees and charges page.
More about police checks and fingerprinting
Read more about the national police checks and finger printing processes.
Get in touch about police checks or fingerprinting through our online enquiry form.
Reviewed 08 November 2022