Message from the Chief Commissioner


Support services for family violence

Release date: Mon 14 August 2017

Last updated: Mon 27 November 2017


 FVC%20Triple%20Zero  FVC%20Interpreter  FVC%20National%20Relay%20Service  FVCExit

Support services for family violence

After an incident of family violence the Code of Practice for the Investigation of Family Violence directs Victoria Police to make referrals for all family members.

This page explains the services at the bottom of the family violence web pages that Victoria Police often refer to.

See  DHHS Information sheets on family violence and services in languages other than English (LOTE).

Triple Zero (000)

Call Triple Zero (000) if anyone is immediate danger.

A Triple Zero (000) emergency call is the fastest way to get help whenever:

  • someone has been injured
  • someone is about to be injured or is threatened to be hurt
  • property has been damaged or is about to be damaged
  • a crime has occurred or is about to occur.

See this link for information on how to make a Triple Zero (000) call  in Languages other than English

If you don't speak English, in an emergency, call Triple Zero (000) tell them your language, they will organise an interpreter and connection to emergency services. 

The Magistrates' Court

The Magistrates' Court hears applications for Family Violence Intervention Orders (FVIO).

Victoria Police can be the applicant for a FVIO, for example if they attended a family violence incident and have issued a Family Violence Safety Notice (FVSN) to protect people affected by family violence.

Individuals can apply directly to the court for a Family Violence Intervention Order (FVIO) or to vary an order.

For more information on the application and court process see the family violence section of the Magistrates' Court website.

Victoria Legal Aid

Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) provides free legal advice by telephone.

Legal Aid or Community Legal Services often supply free duty lawyers at Magistrates' Courts.

VLA can refer you to a local community legal service or other specialist legal services.

They use interpreters and have information in a range of languages.

Victoria Legal Aid can be called on 1300 792 387 Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.

Please note whatever your immigration status, help for family violence is available. Legal Aid can assist.

For more information see the Federal Government, Department of Social Services, they have translated fact sheets .

Victims of Crime Helpline

Victims of Crime Helpline supports victims of crime including victims of family violence (women or men).

Victoria Police refers men who are victims of family violence to the Victims of Crime Assistance Program.

Victims of Crime can assist with counselling, advice about the criminal justice process, recovery from crime, including applying for financial support.

Victims of Crime  Helpline can be called on 1800 819 817 (7 days, 8am-11pm).

Safe steps Family Violence Response Centre (24 hours)

This is a state-wide service for women and children who are victims of family violence. Safe Steps has specialist family violence practitioners who can assess family violence risk, offer support, help with safety planning and referrals. They use telephone interpreters.

Safe Steps can assist with support for women or children with disabilities who are in crisis due to family violence, and assist with accessing the DHHS Disability and Family Violence Liaison Officer see the DHHS web page .

Safe Steps can refer women to their local specialist family violence services or you could try Domestic Violence Resource Centre Victoria Lookout page.

Safe Steps call be called on 1800 015 188 or 9322 3555 (24 hours).

Men's Referral Service                  

Men's Referral Service is a state-wide service for men concerned about their violent behaviour towards their partner, ex-partner or family.

They can provide telephone counselling and referrals to men's behaviour change programs.

Men's Referral Service can all be called on 1300 766 491 (Monday-Friday 8am - 9pm)

Sexual Assault Crisis Line

The Sexual Assault Crisis Line (SACL) provides a 24 hour statewide crisis response to victims of sexual offences.

They also provide telephone support to past victim/survivors and their family or support people. They are part of the Centres Against Sexual Assault (CASA) network of services that provide counselling and advocacy for victim/survivors of sexual violence.

The Sexual Assault Crisis Line (SACL) can be called on 1800 806 292 (24 hours)

Child Protection Service, DHHS (24 hours) 131 278

The Child Protection Service is part of Department of Health and Human Services. Child Protection Service receives reports of child abuse. Members of the public can make reports if they are concerned for the welfare of a child.

Victoria Police is one of the professions which is mandated to report to Child Protection, when police officers have a reasonable belief that child abuse has occurred.

Any member of the public can report reasonable concerns of child abuse to Child Protection (24 hours) 131 278.

For more information see the 'family violence and children' and 'child abuse'  page.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people

If you or your children are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, there are Aboriginal Controlled Community Organisations that can help the whole family.

Victoria Police will ask if anyone is Aboriginal and offer referrals to either Aboriginal or mainstream services.

See Family Violence and Aboriginal Community page it has an information sheet on Family Violence for Aboriginal Communities for more information and services.

The e-Safety Commissioner

The Office of the e-Safety Commissioner is dedicated to online safety.

Their web site has detailed advice for children, parents and people experiencing technology facilitated abuse.

Translation and Interpreter Service

Translation and Interpreting Service (TIS) can assist if your first language is not English and you want to call local police.

For information about Victoria Police's response to family violence in 13 community languages, see the publication page.

For more information about services in your language see the DHHS Information pages.

The websites below have information in a range of languages and will use telephone interpreters.


The National Relay Service

The National Relay Service is an Australian wide telephone communication service that assists people who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment.

The National Relay Service can:

For more information on how they help with calls to Triple Zero (000) see their web page on emergency calls.

In an emergency call Triple Zero (000).

For more information see


 FVC%20Triple%20Zero  FVC%20Interpreter  FVC%20National%20Relay%20Service  FVCExit


Top of Page
Victoria Police Centre 637 Flinders Street Melbourne 3005 | Ph 03 9247 6666 | Fax 03 9247 5727
Copyright © 2005 State of Victoria. All rights reserved.