Community safety is at the forefront of our service to the community. Everyone needs to feel safe in their home and as they move about in the community.
We will strengthen our ability to support and assist every member of the community by forming strong and sustainable stakeholder partnerships.
We recognise the importance of working with government and emergency response agencies, local industries, business sectors and community groups.
Through our partnerships with Aboriginal communities, we will support the path to self-determination. We will also play our part in reducing overrepresentation in the Victorian criminal justice system.
Supporting victims is a critical component of our work. We will continue to strengthen support for victims with our partners in victim services and family violence support programs.
Increased police patrols on roads, water and in the air, will deter and prevent crime and promote road safety across the state.
A strong and visible police presence makes people feel safe and builds confidence in Victoria Police.
We will continue to foster close relationships with all sectors of the community to detect and investigate crimes. Our proactive programs, which include harm minimisation initiatives and community partnerships, will provide a positive impact on the lives of young and vulnerable people, by reducing repeat offending and victimisation.
These systems free up police resources to respond to emergency situations and enable the public to report non-urgent crimes and events 24 hours a day.
Victoria Police actions to increase community safety
Victoria Police will focus on building community safety by:
- Implementing and evaluating the Neighbourhood Policing Model aimed at managing long-term high-risk crime locations through community safety partnerships
- Implementing a reformed workforce model for protective services officers
- Continuing to modernise our police facilities
- Supporting the successful, secure, and safe planning and delivery of the Commonwealth Games in Victoria in 2026
- Supporting the successful, secure, and safe planning and delivery of the FINA World Swimming Championships (25m) 2022 in Melbourne
- Developing and implementing the Victoria Police Youth Strategy
- Implementing the Victoria Police Counter Terrorism Strategy.
Reviewed 17 August 2023