VicPol Corporate

Sexual offences crisis and support

Community service providers are available for anyone who has experienced harm or violence. They can talk to you about getting support, creating a safety plan or provide information on:

  • court processes (criminal and civil)
  • family court legal advice
  • risk assessments and safety planning
  • emotional and material support
  • advocacy
  • information and referrals.

The following is a list of referral agencies for you if you are seeking support for sexual offences.

  • Metropolitan CASA crisis line numbers

    Crisis support, counselling, information for people who have been sexually assaulted.

    Rural CASA crisis line numbers

    • Ballarat CASA – 5320 3933
    • The Sexual Assault and Family Violence Centre Geelong – 5222 4318
    • West Gippsland CASA – Morwell – 5134 3922
    • Goulburn Valley CASA – Shepparton – 5831 2343
    • Loddon Campaspe CASA – Bendigo – 5441 0430
    • The Sexual Assault and Family Violence Centre – Wimmera – 5381 1211
    • Centre Against Violence – Wangaratta – 5722 2203
    • South Western CASA – Warrnambool – 5564 4144
    • Mallee Sexual Assault Unit – Mildura – 5025 5400
  • Child Protection Emergency Service (DHHF) – After Hours

    To report concerns of physical injury and/or sexual abuse of a child after hours, where the matter is urgent and cannot safely be left until the next working day.

    Contact 131 278 (toll free)

    Child Protection (DHHF) – Business Hours

    To make a mandatory report where the child or young person has suffered, or is likely to suffer, significant harm as a result of physical injury or sexual abuse and the parents have not or are unlikely to protect the child. To make a report where a child or young person is in need of protection and has or is likely to suffer significant harm due to emotional abuse, neglect or abandonment and the parents have not or are unlikely to protect the child. During business hours contact the DHHF Regional Intake.

    Visit the Children, youth & families websiteExternal Link .

    Child FIRST

    Child FIRST is an easily accessible, community-based point of entry for children, young people and families needing support.

    Visit the Families and children websiteExternal Link .

Family violence crisis and support

A full list of family violence information and support can be found here:

  • The Orange Door provides family violence crisis response and coordinate referrals across multiple agency services for multiple violent issues including family violence, sexual assault and child abuse. Visit the Orange Door websiteExternal Link .

  • Offer women and children who are enduring or escaping from a violence partner practical support and information about safe accommodation options, obtaining legal advice, accessing financial entitlements, referrals to counselling and other services.

  • A full list of outreach services can be found on the Domestic Violence Resource Centre websiteExternal Link .

    Department of Justice and Community Safety (DJCS), Victim Services, Support and Reform (VSSR) Victim Support Agency.

  • The victims of crime helpline is a free telephone service that provides information, advice and referrals to help you manage and recover from the effects of crime. This is recognised as the state-wide entry point if you are a male victim survivor.

  • Publications, training, resources and referral to local and national services, and to Victorian Family Violence Networks.

    Information covers violence and women with disabilities, and older women and family violence.

    Call 8346 5200 (9am–5pm, Monday to Friday)

  • Elizabeth Morgan House Aboriginal Women’s Service provides specialist family violence support to Aboriginal women and their children who are currently experiencing or have experienced family violence.

  • Will refer to local Community Legal Centres who can provide legal assistance on family violence, family law and support in applying for intervention orders.

    Call 9652 1500 (9am–5pm, Monday to Friday).

  • Telephone counselling for lesbians and gay men, referral to face-to-face counselling and other services.

    Call 9663 2939 or 1800 184 527 (toll free for country callers).

  • Services, programs and responses to issues of family violence in Culturally And Linguistically Diverse (CALD) communities, developing and implementing a number of culturally sensitive and holistic models for the provision of services to you and also the perpetrator of family violence.

  • Telephone counselling for children and young people.

  • Telephone counselling (general)

  • Telephone counselling and referral for men who use violence towards family members. Provides initial counselling and referral for partners and advice to agencies requiring assistance.

  • 1800RESPECT

    Commonwealth government funded 24/7 counseling helpline, online counselling and information and support for people experiencing sexual assault or family violence.

    Rainbow Door

    Rainbow Door is a free specialist LGBTIQA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Gender Diverse, Intersex, Queer, Asexual, BrotherBoys, SisterGirls) helpline providing information, support, and referral to all LGBTIQA+ Victorians, their friends and family during the COVID-19 crisis and beyond. This service is run by Switchboard Victoria.

    Seniors Rights Victoria (SRV)

    Seniors Rights Victoria phone and advisory service aimed to help prevent elder abuse and safeguard the rights, dignity and independence of senior Victorians.

    The Police Association Victoria (TPAV)

    Counselling and referral advice for members of The Police Association only.

    Victoria Police - Police Psychology Unit

    The Police Psychology Unit is a confidential counselling and support service staffed by psychologists and social workers who provide professional and comprehensive psychological services to meet the needs of employees and their immediate families. The office is staffed from 9am until 5pm, outside of these hours it has an ‘on call’ professional to assist employees experiencing a work or personal related crisis who can be accessed via the 24-hour support line.

    Thorne Harbour Health (formerly VAC)

    Equinox, PRONTO!, Therapeutic Services (Counselling, family violence, alcohol/other drug services), Health Promotion and Operations.

    Safe Steps

    Crisis support, information, referral to safe accommodation (refuge) for women and children.

    Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency Co-Operative Limited (VACCA)

    VACCA provide assistance and support to Aboriginal children and families who are experiencing social and economic problems which may contribute to a breakdown in the family structure.

    Professional legal advice and representation to the Aboriginal community.

    Victims Support Agency (VSA)

    Women’s Information and Referral Exchange (WIRE)

    Telephone information, support and referral for women incorporating Women’s Information Centre.

    Legal phone advice line concerning family violence and family law.

Reviewed 03 May 2023

Was this page helpful?