Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC)

Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) is Victoria’s anti-corruption agency with jurisdiction over the public sector. IBAC has jurisdiction to investigate serious corruption and police misconduct. This includes where police have failed to act in line with community expectations.

IBAC do not investigate complaints of family violence, however it can initiate a complaint on your behalf, referring the matter to Professional Standards Command for investigation regarding:

  • duty failure or lack of action
  • concerns their reported matter was not investigated thoroughly
  • the informant failing to notify you on the progress of an investigation
  • the informant failing to provide you with advice or assistance.

IBAC may investigate matters where it is alleged a Victoria Police employee has acted in an unprofessional or unlawful manner while on duty.

Victoria Police employees and community members can lodge a complaint about a Victoria Police employee directly to IBAC by calling 1300 735 135 or emailing

Victims of Crime Commissioner

The Victims’ Charter Act 2006 sets out principles for how agencies should treat you or your family members. The Commissioner can only investigate complaints that relate to an agency’s compliance with these principles. The Victims of Crime Commissioner cannot accept or investigate complaints about an individual’s conduct or the outcome of a criminal case.

If you believe Victoria Police has not treated you or a family member in line with the Victims’ Charter Act and are unable to resolve the matter with Victoria Police directly, you can also make a complaint to the Victims of Crime Commissioner.

For further information regarding the Victims’ Charter Act 2006, visit the Legislation website. Contact the Victims of Crime Commissioner by calling 1800 010 017 or emailing