What to expect when calling Triple Zero (000)

When you call Triple Zero (000) for urgent police attendance, you will speak to an emergency dispatcher who will ask you questions about your situation and arrange for police to attend your location.

  • usually, police in uniform will be the first to attend and speak with you. They will speak to you in private, away from anyone else at the location (including away from children where safe to do so)
  • depending on the circumstances they may also need to speak to any children or others present at the time.
  • if you need an interpreter or have any accessibility requirements police will arrange this.
  • police will turn on their body-worn cameras and record all the conversations. It is important to tell the police as much information as possible about what has occurred.
  • the incident will be reported to Professional Standards Command, who will determine whether the report of family violence or sexual offence will be allocated to the SOFVU or to a qualified regional investigator.
  • a qualified investigator will tell you about what will happen next as part of the investigation process and what your options are. They will also let you know if they are making referrals after completing a Family Violence Report.
  • it is normal practice for a senior police officer (sergeant or higher ranking) to attend incidents or call outs that involve Victoria Police employees.
  • they may also ask to speak with you about what you’ve experienced and refer you to a specialist investigator.
  • police must take action to ensure you and your children are safe and protect any property. Refer to the Victoria Police Response (Options) Model page for what happens next.