On this page:
Police officers perform an important role as the front line of Victoria Police.
The majority of Victoria Police members work as general duties police officers who:
- are first on the scene at any reportable crime or public need
- provide their service to the community 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The role and duties of a police officer are challenging but also rewarding.
As a police officer you will make a difference to the Victorian community every day you work.
- Check your eligibility and suitability to be a police officer
- Learn about the recruitment process
- Entry requirements for police officers
- Life as a police officer
- Police officer salary, leave, benefits and hours
- Specialist roles and areas for police officers
- Training to become a police officer
- Extra resources and information
- Upcoming information sessions
How to apply
Step 1: Read and confirm
- I've done a quick eligibility and suitability check.
- I meet Victoria Police entry requirements.
- I have no criminal, traffic or medical history that will impact my application.
- I understand the recruitment process and the resources available to help me.
Step 2: Prepare your application
You will be required to submit an online application form consisting of:
- personal details
- employment history
- education history
- history of prior any offences, traffic-related matters and/or police dealings.
We encourage you to:
- allow at least 45 mins to complete your online application
- be truthful about any prior offences
- use a desktop or laptop in a quiet space to apply
- take your time to complete extended written responses (which will assess your content, grammar and spelling).
Check your eligibility and suitability to be a police officer
Eligibility questions to ask yourself before applying to be a police officer.
Reviewed 16 March 2023