VicPol Corporate

Altering your firearm

Learn information around altering, registering and found firearms.

This page contains information on altering and registering your firearms.

Altering your firearm or a firearm's calibre

You cannot alter your firearm or its magazine capacity so that it becomes a different category of firearm unless you have received authorisation from the Licensing and Regulation Division.

You must complete and submit an Application to Alter a Firearm to the Licensing and Regulation Division. If your application is successful, you may then take your firearm to a licensed firearm dealer to alter your firearm for you.

If you want to change the calibre of your firearm to a calibre not provided in the original manufacture of the firearm, you may take the firearm directly to a Licensed Firearm Dealer. However, you must provide the Licensing and Regulation Division with a completed Notification of Modification to Calibreformwithin seven days of changing the firearm's calibre.

Registering your firearm

With very few exceptions, all firearms permanently stored in Victoria must be registered with the Licensing and Regulation Division.

If you believe you have a firearm that does not need to be registered, you can take it to a Licensed Firearm Dealer for assessment. If they agree with you, the authorised firearm identifier can submit an application to the Licensing and Regulation Division requesting that your firearm be:

  • Declared exempt.
  • Removed from your licence.

Apart from exemptions of this kind, it is illegal to have any unregistered firearms in your possession.

Found firearms

If you have found a firearm you must contact your local police station and arrange a time to drop it off and have the station check its registration status. Alternatively you can contact a licensed firearm dealer to make arrangements to drop off the firearm. Do not attempt to destroy the firearm yourself.

Owning a firearm that has not previously been registered

If you come into possession of an unregistered firearm and you want to keep it, you must:

  • ask a licensed firearm dealer to store it for you in the interim
  • ensure your licence allows you to own that category of firearm
  • apply to the Licensing and Regulation Division for a Permit to Acquire and then pay the associated fee
  • take the Permit to Acquire to a dealership so the dealer can transfer ownership of the firearm and arrange for the firearm to be registered as yours.

Reviewed 29 June 2021

Our services

Contact Us

Licensing and Regulation Division GPO Box 2807, Melbourne , VIC 3001

Was this page helpful?