VicPol Corporate

Licence requirements

Before applying for a firearm licence you need to consider whether you are eligible and that you have a genuine need for the licence.


Those wishing to obtain a firearm licence in Victoria should carefully read the Eligibility requirements

Genuine need

When you submit your application, you will need to tell us why you want to be able to use a firearm and will need to provide appropriate and sufficient evidence to support your request.

Your genuine need will need to be supported by the provisions under Schedule 2 of the Firearms Act 1996. Each type of licence category has different evidence requirements. You should familiarise yourself with the evidence requirements relevant to the licence category you are seeking to be licenced for.

Before you submit your application you will need to complete the Victorian Firearm Safety Course relevant to the type of firearm licence before you submit your application. If you successfully complete this course, you will be issued a completion certificate. Keep this certificate safe, as you will need to provide a copy when you submit your application.

Even if you have previously held a licence in Victoria or in another state, if you have had a  licence cancelled or your previous licence expired more than 12 months ago you must complete the Firearm Safety Course before you submit a new application.

Some categories of firearm licence require a full set of fingerprints to be taken as a part of the application process. If the type of licence you are applying for requires fingerprints, you will need to arrange to have a full set of your fingerprints taken.
See National Police Record Check

Application forms

The following new firearm licence applications must be completed online through the Victoria Police eServices Portal:

  • Longarms Licence (Categories A, B, C, D or E) Application
  • Handgun Licence (General Category or Category E) Application
  • Junior Firearm Licence Application
  • Provisional General Category Handgun Licence Application
  • Heirloom Licence Application

Other application forms can be downloaded from the Firearms forms page.

When you submit your application you must supply the following:

  • 100 points of identification compromising of at least one primary identification document like a passport or birth certificate and one secondary document showing your current residential address – these documents must be correctly certified
  • an identification reference from an acceptable referee who has known you for at least 12 months and not related to you by either birth or marriage – the person who provides your identification reference must be the same person who certifies your 100 points of identification
  • a copy of your Victorian Firearm Safety Course certificate
  • a copy of your National Police Check certificate if required

If you answer 'Yes' to any of the medical history questions in your application you must also provide a medical report from your treating doctor supporting your suitability to hold a firearm licence and be in possession of firearms. Information about what details your health care professional will need to provide is available in this guide:


Payment is not required at the time of application. If your application has been approved you be issued with a payment notice. This payment notice is confirmation that your application has been approved.

You must pay the fee for your licence by BPAY or cash or cheque at a Westpac Bank by the nominated date on your payment notice.


Once you have made payment you must take the payment notice and another form of identification to have your photo taken at an approved VicRoads photo point

VicRoads will send your plastic licence card to your postal address.

Licensing and Regulation Division will only accept photos taken at an approved photo point.

If you cannot attend a Victorian photo point you must complete and return to Licensing and Regulations Division Instructions when unable to attend an Authorised Photo Point in Victoria form:

More information

The instruction pages attached to all licence application forms provide detailed information on the above requirements. Licensing and Regulation Division encourages all applicants to read the instructions carefully before they submit an application.

If your application is incomplete or missing information your application will not be finalised. This could delay the final decision on your application. From time to time Licensing and Regulation Division will require additional information from you. We will write to you and outline what we need. If you fail to provide that information within the specified amount of time the Licensing and Regulation Division may refuse to make a decision on your application.

Frequently asked questions

Acceptable identification documents

The first time you apply for a firearm licence, you must provide 100 points of identification. If you have held a licence in Victoria before, but it has been more than 12 months since your previous licence expired, or if you have held a licence in another state, then you must provide 100 points of identification.

You must provide at least one primary identification document and one or more secondary identification documents from the list below. All identification documents must be correctly certified by an acceptable referee.


Primary identification documents


Full birth certificate or change of name certificate if applicable (birth extracts, birth cards and commemorative birth certificates are not acceptable)


Current passport


Expired passport which was not cancelled and was current within the preceding two years


Australian Citizenship Certificate


Diplomatic documents and official documents issued to refugees



Secondary identification documents


Identification card issued by a tertiary education institution which includes your photograph or signature


Public service identification which includes your photograph and/or signature


Licence issued under Australia law which includes your photograph and/or signature (eg. driver licence)


Government issued identification showing entitlement to financial benefit and includes your signature (eg. healthcare card)


Mortgage documents including your current address


Land Titles Office record including your current address


Records from a current or previous employer (within the past two years) that confirms your name and current address


Council rates notice including your current address


Credit card statement or bank statement


Credit card


Medicare card


Telephone account


Confirmation of electoral enrolment issued by the Australian Electoral Commission which includes your current address


Records of public utility including your current address (eg. gas, electricity or water bill)


Statement from a primary, secondary or tertiary education institution that you attended in the last 10 years that confirms your name and date of birth


Membership records from a professional or trade association (e.g. union or trade/professional body) that confirms your name and date of birth


Victorian Proof of Age Card (a Keypass card is not acceptable)


Working with Children Check card



Acceptable referees

The identification documents you submit with your application must be correctly certified by an acceptable referee. The person who certifies your identification documents must be the same person who completes the identification declaration section of your application.

Your referee must have known you for at least 12 months.

Examples of acceptable referees include people such as:

  • registered medical practitioner (eg. your GP), or dentist
  • registered and employed nurse
  • registered primary or secondary school teachers employed full-time
  • primary or secondary school principal employed full-time
  • minister of religion who is registered as a marriage celebrant
  • Justice of the Peace
  • bank employee who has the authority to open accounts (eg. bank branch manager)
  • accountant who is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, the Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants, or the National Institute of Accountants


Certified documents

A certified document is a copy of a document or record signed and certified as a true copy of an original by an authorised person. The person certifying a document must sight a copy of the original at the time they are certifying the copy.

Certification should be made on the same side as the copy of the document being certified (not on the back of the copy).


You must have a full set of fingerprints taken when applying for a:

  • Category D Longarm Licence
  • Category E Longarm Licence
  • Category 1 Collectors Licence
  • General Category Handgun Licence
  • Category E Handgun Licence
  • Licensed Firearm Dealer Licence (all employees and close associates must be fingerprinted)
  • Corporate Licence of any category other than an Antique Handgun Collectors Licence (all responsible officers of the body corporate must be fingerprinted)

See information regarding the process of taking your fingerprints and National police records check

When making an appointment, you must inform the customer service officer that the reason you require a full set of fingerprints is for your Firearm Licence application (as per the Firearms Act 1996).

If you are applying for a general category Handgun Licence for Armed Guard or Cash-in-Transit purposes (as per the Private Security Act 2004) and you wish to apply for a Private Security Licence either concurrently or in the near future, it is recommended that you advise the customer service officer of this requirement so that two sets of fingerprints can be taken at the same time for the one fee (as a separate set of fingerprints are required for security purposes).

Victorian firearm safety courses

You must complete a Victorian firearm safety course and test if:

  • you are applying for any licence other than a Collectors, Heirlooms or Licensed Firearm Dealer licence
  • you have never held a Victorian Firearm Licence (even if you had a licence in another Australian State or Territory)
  • your Victorian Firearm Licence was cancelled
  • your Victorian Firearm Licence expired more than 12 months ago

Longarm safety course

Anyone wishing to apply for a Longarm Licence will need to participate in a Victoria firearm safety course and successfully complete a multiple-choice test at the end of the course.

Longarm firearm safety courses are facilitated by Divisional Firearm Officers and run by volunteer instructors from the Firearms Safety Foundation Victoria.

You can download the application form and return it to a Divisional Firearm Officer at your local police station or by email.

It is preferable that you attend a safety course in your local area.

Enquires relating to firearm safety courses should be emailed to your local Divisional Firearms Officer and include your:

  • full name
  • return telephone contact details
  • general locality

See Divisional firearms officers

Providing this information will assist Divisional Firearm Officers to direct you to a safety course in your local area.

Firearm safety courses run on a user demand basis. Courses will not run if there are insufficient numbers. Once there are sufficient numbers to fill a safety course in your local area, you will be contacted by your Divisional Firearm Officer confirming the course details.

To help prepare you for the safety course and test, read the booklet:

Handgun safety course

For Handgun Licence applications, you must contact an approved handgun target shooting club to arrange your safety course. At the end of the course you will sit a short test of multiple-choice questions and do a practical test. For more information, see Firearm safety courses

Once you have completed the relevant firearm safety course, you must attach your completion certificate to the licence application form you submit to the Licensing and Regulation Division. You should keep a copy of your certificate for your records.

Your local Divisional Firearm Officer can also help answer your questions about the various courses and tests.

Paintball marker safety course

You must complete a Victorian paintball marker safety course if you wish to own paintball markers and hold a Paintball Marker Licence. You will need to contact a paintball operator to book into a course. At the end of the course you will sit a short test of multiple-choice questions.

Private security firearm safety courses

You must complete a specialist firearm safety course if you want to work with a firearm in the private security industry. Specifically, you will need to successfully complete the 'Control Security Risk Situations Using Firearms' unit of competency which is covered in the following courses:

  • Certificate III Armed Guard
  • Certificate III Cash-in-Transit
  • Certificate III Combined Armed Guard and Cash-in-Transit

You will need to requalify in the firearm-specific unit of competency each year. For more information, see Private security training requirements

Eligibility to use a silencer

Section 57 of the Firearms Act 1996 regulates the possession, carry or use of silencers in Victoria. To be eligible for a silencer, you must be an employer or employee in one of the occupation fields listed below:

  • Victorian Government department (eg. DELWP)
  • licensed firearms dealer (includes dealers that only manufacture silencers)
  • manufacturer of silencers
  • professional hunter
  • person who works as subcontractor for a professional hunting organisation
  • professional vermin control business
  • veterinarian
  • wildlife shelter
  • zoological

Each application for a silencer permit will be considered on its merits and a determination will be made by the delegate of the Chief Commissioner.

If you are currently employed in any of the above professions and you wish to make an application, request a silencer application form by emailing a request to

Starter pistols and blank firing firearms

Whether you need a firearm licence to start a sporting event with a handgun or starting pistol will depend on which kind of pistol is being used. There are three typical kinds of starting pistols used in sporting events.

There are also blank firing firearms used in theatrical productions. These too may be subject to licensing restrictions. See the information sheet:

Reviewed 24 March 2019