Please be advised that the Licensing and Regulation Division is currently experiencing a high volume of applications. As such, approval of your renewal application may be delayed.
Under Section 41A of the Firearms Act 1996, if a licence holder has applied to renew their licence and that application has not been determined before the the licence expiry date, the licence is deemed to continue in force, on and from that date, until the determination of the application.
A renewal application package will be posted to you eight weeks before the expiry of your licence. Included with your package will be:
- a renewal application form
- a list of firearms registered in Victoria to your licence/s.
Please ensure that you advise the Licensing and Regulation Division of any changes to your residential, postal and/or storage address so that you receive your renewal application in a timely manner. Failure to notify the Licensing and Regulation Division of an address change is the most common cause of firearms licences expiring.
Before submitting your renewal application you must ensure that you:
- review the information on your renewal application form
- answer all of the questions on your renewal application form
- provide supporting documentary evidence for your genuine reason/s.
Key points to remember
- Please consider using Registered or Express Post to lodge your application and supporting documents.
- High quality PDF copies of your application and supporting documents can be emailed to
- If you fail to submit your renewal application prior to the expiry of your licence, you will become unlicensed and be required to dispose of your firearms to a Licensed Firearm Dealer. You will then need to lodge a new licence application to retake possession of your firearms.
- If any of your details have changed, you can make changes/corrections directly on the application form.
- Incomplete applications will not be finalised and will delay the processing of your application.
- All completed applications and supporting documentation should be forwarded to the Licensing and Regulation Division.
- A payment notice and instructions for having a new photo taken will be sent to you by post once your renewal application has been finalised – you must pay the fee for your licence by BPAY or cash or cheque at a Westpac Bank by the nominated date on your payment notice.
Failure to dispose of the firearm before the expiry of your licence will cause you to be in possession of unregistered firearms. Penalties will apply.
Please email the Licensing and Regulation Division to advise that you do not wish to renew your firearms licence.
Reviewed 17 June 2021