Applying for a new private security licence or registration

Learn more about what is required to apply for a new private security licence or registration.

We recommend you familiarise yourself with the authority types and eligibility requirements prior to applying for a individual licence or registration.

In addition to the requirements outlined in the eligibility section, you should also view the additional information specific to the type of application you wish to lodge. This can be found in the sections on this page.

How to submit your application

  1. Access the eServices Portal and fill out your application.
  2. When you submit your application, you will be prompted to print it and send it to the Licensing and Regulation Division along with your supporting documentation via the post.
  3. During this time, you will receive notification in the mail to organise your fee payments, have your photograph taken at an approved VicRoads photo point(opens in a new window) and have your fingerprints taken (if applicable). Note: this does not mean your application has been approved. If your application is refused, you will receive a refund.
  4. Upon receipt of your application, the Licensing and Regulation Division will process your application and if approved, will provide you with your plastic licence in the mail. Current processing times are published on the Private security page. 

Note: the process to apply for an Individual and Business Private Security Licence is the same however the evidence requirements that will need to be submitted with your application marginally differ. These evidence requirements are outlined below.

Additional requirements for both individual and business licence or registration applicants

You may also need to provide:

  • certified statement of results for the training relevant to the activities you are applying to be licensed for (security licence applications only)
  • certified National Police Records Check Certificate (security licence applications only)
  • certified evidence of a name change
  • certified certificate of service if you have been a member of any police force or service in the last 10 years
  • certified copy of passport, visa, work entitlement details and criminal history check as provided to Department of Immigration and Border Protection (non-citizens/permanent residents)
  • a copy of a medical report from your medical practitioner indicating your suitability to hold a Private Security Licence

Contact us

Get in touch about private security licensing through our online enquiry form.