Private Security Authority Types, Eligibility and Training

Learn more about private security authority types, eligibility and training requirements in Victoria.

Private security authority types

Private security authority types are separated into Licence (Class A) and Registration (Class B) type activities.

Class A activities – Licence activities

You must be the holder of a private security individual licence to perform Class A activities.

You must be the holder of a private security business licence to provide the services of other persons who hold individual licences to perform Class A activities.

Activities include:

  • Investigator
  • Bodyguard
  • Crowd controller
  • Private security trainer 
  • Security guard (including sub-activities)


The Class A activity of ‘Security guard’ compromises of six-sub-activities. These activities are:

  • Unarmed guard
  • Armed guard
  • Cash in transit
  • Control room operator
  • Monitoring room operator
  • Guard with a dog

Class B activities – Registration activities

You must be the holder of a private security individual registration to perform Class B activities.

You must be the holder of a private security business registration to provide the services of other persons who hold individual registrations to perform Class B activities.         

Activities include:

  • Security equipment installer (CCTV, Security Cameras, Security alarm, safes, vaults etc)
  • Security adviser – a person employed to provide advice in relation to security equipment, security methods or principles.


To be eligible for a private security licence or registration in Victoria, you must:

  • be 18 years or over
  • be a resident of Australia or be the holder of a current visa (a person must have current working rights when applying for a new licence/registration)
  • undertake a National Police Check which requires the recording of your fingerprints (licence applicants only)
  • provide certified copies of International Police Checks from any other country you have resided in for a period of more than 12 months over the previous 10 years since turning 16 years of age. International police checks will only be accepted from:
    • the Embassy or Consulate General of the relevant country; or
    • the relevant police agency of the relevant country; or
    • the check provided to the Department of Home Affairs at the time of visa lodgement.
  • not be a prohibited person
  • be a fit and proper person – this includes not having any medical condition or history with police that would hinder your employment within the industry
  • provide two written references outlining your suitability for employment within the private security industry
  • provide 100 points of certified identification and any change of name documentation

In addition to the above requirements, licence applicants must also demonstrate competency to work in the security industry. That is, by completing training relevant to the private security activity or activities that they wish to be licensed for with a training organisation approved by the Licensing and Regulation Division.

Interstate eligibility

Mutual recognition

To work in Victoria, you must have a current Victorian private security licence and/or registration or be the holder of a Temporary Visitor Permit.

If you hold a current private security licence issued in another Australian State or Territory and you wish to apply for Victorian licence/registration, you must complete a Mutual Recognition Application form and supply supporting documents, including a certified copy of your current interstate licence.

Licences sought under mutual recognition can only be issued for equivalent activities that you are licensed for interstate. Victorian licences will not be issued on provisional licences from interstate.

Interstate licence holders who wish to work in Victoria for a special event may apply for a Temporary Interstate Visitor Permit.

Temporary permits

Individuals or businesses may apply for an Interstate Visitor Permit if they wish to work in Victoria for a special event.

Applicants for this permit must:

  • ordinarily reside in another State or Territory of Australia
  • hold a current interstate licence for the activities applied for
  • be applying to work as a security guard, crowd controller, bodyguard and/or investigator temporarily in Victoria for the duration of a special event

Note:  A special event is defined as an event of social, cultural, sporting, political or economic significance to the State of Victoria that takes place for a specific period of time.

Temporary permits cannot be renewed and will only be issued for the duration of a special event.

Overseas bodyguards may apply for a temporary overseas bodyguard visitor permit.

Temporary permit forms can be found on the private security forms page. 

Temporary residents/visa holders

Applicants who are not Australian citizens or permanent residents should not undertake any security training if they:

The Licensing and Regulation Division must also be satisfied that all visa holders applying for a licence or registration have the appropriate work rights before they the licence or registration can be issued.

Once the Licensing and Regulation Division has issued a licence or registration, it is the responsibility of the individual visa holder and prospective employers to ensure visa conditions are not being breached.

Firearm licences for private security purposes can only be issued to Australian citizens or permanent residents. Individuals who are not ordinarily resident in Victoria will not be endorsed for sub-activities for Armed Guard or Cash- in-Transit.

Additional information for student visa holders

Overseas students in Australia on student visas should be aware that there are additional requirements for the recognition of security training for licensing purposes.

The Licensing and Regulation Division will only recognise security courses completed by overseas students that satisfy two conditions:

Private security licence applications received from student visa holders who have been issued with a qualification from an RTO that does not have the relevant CRICOS registration will be deemed non-compliant and may be refused.

RTOs registered with CRICOS may not offer security courses that are CRICOS registered. It is the responsibility of students to ensure that any course they complete is CRICOS registered prior to enrolment.

Training requirements

If you are applying for a private security individual operator licence, you must have successfully completed the approved training requirement for all activities that you wish to be licensed for. Please note that training is required to be valid within 12 months of the receipt of application.

Only training that has been completed with an approved Registered Training Organisation will be accepted for licensing purposes. For a list of currently approved Registered Training Organisations (RTOs), see:


For details concerning how to become a licensed private security trainer, see: Registered Training Organisations.

There are no training requirements to hold a private security individual registration for either security equipment installer and/or security advisor. There are also no training requirements for the private security individual licence sub-activity of ‘monitoring centre’.

Current approved training qualifications and units of competency are as follows.

Please note that any CPP31318 Certificate III in Security Operations (Control Room Operator and Monitoring Control Operator) issued prior to 22 June 2021 will be accepted as evidence of meeting the qualification requirements for the licensing sub-activities of Control Room Operator and Monitoring Control Operator and will be valid for 12 months from date of issue.  

Additional training information

Contact us

Get in touch about private security licensing through our online enquiry form.