VicPol Corporate

Trespassers and shooters on farm property

How to protect your property from trespassers and unauthorised shooters, and what to do if there are trespassers on your property.

Trespassers and unauthorised shooters can cause harm to you, your livestock and property.

Explore crime prevention tips to keep your farm safe from trespassers and shooters on farm property, and ensure only responsible shooters have access.

Key crime prevention tips

  • Secure the property boundary.
  • Watch your property.
  • Choose responsible shooters.

Trespass prevention checklist

Secure the property boundary

  • Install trespass warning signs on entry points to the property.
  • Lock all buildings, sheds and gates with good quality locks.
  • Install the latest security technology.
  • Check fences and repair any damage.
  • Install CCTV cameras throughout the property and around the perimeter.
    • Ensure cameras cover all entry and exit points.
    • Use solar cameras where wired cameras cannot be used.
  • Install 'no hunting/shooting' signs at the front and around the perimeter of the property.

Check your property

  • Check your property for unauthorised access.
  • Photograph any evidence of unauthorised access. For example, damaged fences, unfamiliar tyre marks and rubbish.

Choose responsible shooters

  • Ask local farmers for reference checks.
  • Use shooters from reputable shooting clubs.
  • Ensure all authorised shooters are licensed and hold the relevant game authority.
  • Complete an 'authority to shoot' document for all authorised shooters.
  • Obtain a permit or authority from the relevant government body when controlling wildlife.
  • Inform your neighbours when authorised shooters will be active on your property.

Other things you can do

What to do if there are trespassers on your property

  • If you see a trespasser, do not confront them. Your safety is more important.
  • If safe to do so, take pictures and provide them to police.

Report it

No issue is too small to report. If you see something suspicious, report it to police.

For emergencies, to report a crime in progress, or for immediate police attendance, call Triple Zero (000).

For non-emergencies, call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 or report online at Police Assistance Line and Online Reporting.

Report anonymously to Crime StoppersExternal Link on 1800 333 000.

Attend your local police station to speak to an officer in person.

Additional resources

Agriculture VictoriaExternal Link provides information on a range of farming issues.

The Game Management AuthorityExternal Link regulates game hunting in Victoria.

Reviewed 13 September 2023

Farm safety

Was this page helpful?