Report a crime against the LGBTIQA+ community

The types of crime used to harm LGBTIQA+ communities, and how to report them.

Victoria Police takes crimes against the LGBTIQA+ community seriously.

We have a responsibility and duty to ensure safety in the LGBTIQA+ community, and provide equal and fair access to policing services.

Crimes against LGBTIQA+ communities

The types of crimes committed against members of LGBTIQA+ communities include:

These crimes are against the law and will be fully investigated by Victoria Police.

Report a crime against a LGBTIQA+ community member

Call Triple Zero (000) if:

  • anyone is in danger
  • a crime is occurring right now, or
  • you need immediate police attendance.

If there is no immediate danger, you can report a crime or event by:

Contact your local police station for all other crime reporting. This includes family violence and assaults.

You can ask to speak to a Victoria Police LGBTIQA+ Liaison Officer (LLO) at your local station.

You can also share or report crime information online through:

Report a change or suppression (conversion) practice

Harmful practices that seek to change or suppress sexual orientation or gender identity are against the law.

LGBTIQA+ Victorians should live their lives authentically with pride and dignity. No Victorian should be subjected to harmful practices that seek to change or suppress their sexual orientation or gender identity.

You can report a change or suppression (conversion) practice crime to Victoria Police directly.

For more information visit the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC) website.

LGBTIQA+ Liaison Officers (LLOs)

LGBTIQA+ Liaison Officers (LLOs) provide discrete, non-judgemental advice and support. They can also provide information about support services.

There are more than 545 LLOs across Victoria.

You can ask to speak to a LLO for advice, information, referrals or help to report a crime.

To speak to an LLO: